The following is a brief summary of ESS's history:
- ESS began in 1972 as a division of Peakload, Inc., and opened offices in Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta.
- That year, our current Chairman and principal owner, Larry R. Hardtner, began managing operations for the Dallas office.
- Mr. Hardtner purchased the Dallas operation in 1976.
- ESS purchased the assets of Charter Security Group, Inc. in 1991, providing expansion into Mobile Patrol and Response Services in Dallas, Austin and Bryan.
- ESS established a San Antonio Branch Office in 1997.
- ESS established a Houston branch in 2006.
- Today, ESS remains a privately owned company with each of the four principal owners involved in the day-to-day management of the company.
Larry R. Hardtner, Chairman
- Chairman and Owner since 1976. Dallas office Manager since 1972.
- Prior to his affiliation with ESS, Mr. Hardtner served in the United States Army, Military Intelligence, where he achieved the rank of Captain. Mr. Hardtner was awarded two Bronze Star Medals, the Army Commendation Medal, and the Vietnamese Medal for Gallantry with Silver Star.
F. Allen Coleman, President
- First affiliated with ESS in 1985.
- University of Texas at Austin Bachelor of Business Administration, 1981.
- Security experience includes four years as President of Charter Security Group, Inc. and twelve years with ESS.
- Mr. Coleman established an innovative mobile patrol and alarm response service servicing multiple markets in Texas.
Johnny L. Atkinson, Vice President
- First affiliated with ESS in 1987. Has headed our Austin Branch Office since 1991.
- University of Texas at Austin Bachelor of Business Administration, with Honors, 1979.
- Security experience includes four years as Vice President of Charter Security Group, Inc. and ten years with ESS.
- Prior experience includes auditing and accounting functions with several accounting firms in Texas from 1980 through 1986.
- Certified Public Accountant, 1981, License #27217.
Sue Hardtner, Vice President - Administration
- Has been with ESS since 1983. Ms. Hardtner is responsible for corporate administration and regulatory compliance.
- Experience of over 26 years in Finance/Banking including 10 years as Vice President - Cashier for Interfirst Bank in Addison, Texas
before joining ESS.